Follow on Facebook

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

John 3:19-21 But he who does the truth comes to the light

"And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.  For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.  But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."

(19)  "And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."  In the previous verses Jesus explained that the sin-infected fallen descendants of Adam are bound to perish due to God's righteous judgment of sin; so that unless a person is redeemed from God's wrath by believing in Jesus, they remain under condemnation.  John has already stated in the final verses of Chapter Two that Jesus knows the hearts of men.  Therefore, in verses nineteen through twenty-one, Jesus reveals the true reason why some people might choose to perish.  Again we are reminded of God's words spoken through Isaiah:
 
"Come now, and let us reason together,"
Says the Lord,
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They shall be as wool.
If you are willing and obedient,
You shall eat the good of the land;
But if you refuse and rebel,
You shall be devoured by the sword";
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken. - Isaiah 1:18-20
 
The great love of Christ which compelled Him to offer Himself up as a sacrifice for our sins also compelled Him to plead with us through reason so that we would not be ignorant of our own self-destructive tendencies.
 
Just as Adam ran to hide himself and his sin from the sight of God, so fallen man also attempts to conceal his sin by abiding in the darkness.  Whereas, we should naturally be uncomfortable with darkness.  Children are instinctively afraid of the dark.  Darkness presents the dangers of disorientation and restricted vision, thus eliminating the effectiveness of one of our most important physical senses.  Darkness makes life hazardous, perilous, and frightening.  Nevertheless, the darkness appeals to those who have something to hide.
 
Compare Jesus, who is the light of this world and who did everything openly, with those who went out at night to arrest Him.  Then Jesus said to the chief priests, captains of the temple, and the elders who had come to Him, "Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs?  When I was with you daily in the temple, you did not try to seize Me.  But this is your hour, and the power of darkness." - Luke 22:52,53
 
(20)  "For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed."  The wording of this statement from the original Greek manuscripts is critical to understanding what verse twenty is saying, and what it is not saying.  The English translation presents the dilemma that; since all have sinned, and sinners hate and avoid the light; then logically no one will avail themselves of salvation.  But Jesus worded this statement with great precision.  The word used here for "evil" is "phaulos" (φαῦλος), which means worthless or bad.  This is not the same word "poneros" (πονηρὸς) used in verse nineteen, and which is generally used for wickedness and evil in New Testament.
 
Together with the word "practicing" we derive the meaning of "practicing evil" as a regular and habitual lifestyle of worthless behavior based on bad choices made with a heedless attitude.  It is the sinner's determination to continue to remain in the darkness and aloof from his Creator which breeds hatred for the light.  The "practicing" sinner does not wish to be bothered with the discomfort of dealing with sin.  Therefore he or she despises the light and refuses to come into the light.
 
What makes the difference between a lost sinner and a saved sinner?  It is the mysterious work of God in the heart that brings about the willingness and courage to repent and walk toward the light; then we - like Jonah - will forsake what is worthless to gain the mercies of God.
 
"When my soul fainted within me,
I remembered the Lord;
And my prayer went up to You,
Into Your holy temple.
Those who regard worthless idols
Forsake their own Mercy." - Jonah 2:7,8
 
(21)  "But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."  We "do the truth" when we stop protecting our sinful self from the blessed light of God's love, which He has manifested through the cross of Christ.  "Doing the truth" means being open and honest with God.  As David said in his psalm of repentance, "You desire truth in the inward parts."  Once we have come to the light through faith in Jesus, our deeds may be clearly seen without any apprehension, because they have been done according to God's will, under His authority, and by His power.
 
Psalms 51 provides a beautiful example of confession and repentance.  You may want to pray according to this psalm as you consider Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.  Christ's blood has purchased salvation for everyone who will repent and believe in Him.
 
Have mercy upon me, O God,
According to Your lovingkindness;
According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
Blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
And cleanse me from my sin.
For I acknowledge my transgressions,
And my sin is always before me.
Against You, You only, have I sinned,
And done this evil in Your sight -
That You may be found just when You speak.
And blameless when You judge.
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me hear joy and gladness,
That the bones You have broken may rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins,
And blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners shall be converted to You.
Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
The God of my salvation,
And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.
O Lord, open my lips,
And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.
For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and a contrite heart—
These, O God, You will not despise. - Psalms 51:1-17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please allow up to 48 hours for comment approval and posting. Thank you for sharing.