Follow on Facebook

Thursday, November 6, 2014

John 1:47-51 When you were under the fig tree I saw you

Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!" Nathanael said to Him, "How do You know me?" Jesus answered and said to him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." Nathanael answered and said to Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus answered and said to him, "Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these." And He said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."
 
Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!"  Jesus declared, "Behold," indicating that Jesus was meeting Nathanael for the first time.  Yet Jesus spoke from His divine omniscience that He already knew Nathanael's devoted and honest character.  "An Israelite indeed," that is; a true Israelite - a Jew who was conscientiously adhering to the faith of his fathers. "In whom is no deceit."  Nathanael (also called Bartholomew in the synoptic gospels) is not reported to have ever questioned the Lord's words or intentions.  He was a genuine man with the childlike faith, which enabled him to apply his wholehearted trust toward Jesus once he had obtained reasonable assurance that the Nazarene was truly the Christ.
 
Nathanael said to Him, "How do You know me?"  The direct answer might have been stated by Jesus, "I know you because I am the Son of God."  But rather than offering an unproven reply, Jesus answers the question by exhibiting His supernatural perception, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."  Jesus allows His work to speak for itself.  Later in John's gospel Jesus says, "If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him."  - John 10:38,39
 
Nathanael answered and said to Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!"  Jesus had proven His deity by His foreknowledge of Nathanael's unique identity; and, by His knowledge of Nathanael's private activity.  Because Nathanael's integrity had already been lauded by Jesus, many have supposed that he was in prayer or spiritual meditation beneath the fig tree.  But the fact remains that Nathanael stood before the Rabbi utterly transparent to the One who could see to the core of his being; the One from whom no action could be hidden; the One who could only be God incarnate.  With childlike faith Nathanael professed with solemn conviction, "You are the Son of God!"  And as the true Israelite, he immediately showed his homage by recognizing his King.
 
Jesus answered and said to him, "Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these." And He said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."  Far be it from Jesus to belittle the faith of a true believer.  Rather, Jesus assured Nathanael that, as a result of his faith, he would also be granted the ability to perceive the hidden activities of the spiritual realm.  "For whoever has, to him more will be given."  Nathanael would indeed have the opportunity to see angels ministering to Jesus, and standing by for His command.
 
Perhaps Nathanael's determination to be the Israelite with no deceit prepared, or even enabled him, to be drawn to the One from whom nothing can be concealed.  We read in the Psalms; Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, On those who hope in His mercy. - Psalms 33:18  And from Psalms 139:
 
O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.
You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
You have hedged me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain it.

Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.
If I say, "Surely the darkness shall fall on me,"
Even the night shall be light about me;
Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.

 
To be honest with ourselves we must realize the truth about God.  He knows us!  For those who think they are living a secret life of sin, the wisest solution is to seek peace with God through His Son Jesus Christ.  Jesus knew both the sinners and their sins when He died for us on the cross to take away our sins.  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. - Proverbs 9:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please allow up to 48 hours for comment approval and posting. Thank you for sharing.